We have developed sample navigation system using QGIS (Quantum Geographic Information System), which is a free and open-source GIS program (QGIS.org, 2022).
Various types of sample images are used as navigations maps that can be overlayed as multiple layers;
- Optical microscopy: reflected light, transmitted light
- Electron microscopy: secondary electron (SE), backscattered electron (BSE), cathodoluminescence (CL) images and X-ray maps
We align SIMS X-Y stage coordinate to sample map using in-house QGIS plugin that operate SIMS X-Y stage by clicking the location on the map.
For more information, please visit Micro-QGIS tutorial
Dedicated QGIS plugins are publicly available: WiscSIMS plugins for QGIS
- Preselection of analysis locations on sample maps with spot names, which are converted to SIMS X-Y coordinates at the time of SIMS analyses
- Post-SIMS data processing on sample images, such as line profile (see also Linzmeier et al., 2018).
- We can move the SIMS X-Y stage to the preselected locations on the sample map in the QGIS program with accuracy of ≤ 2 μm.